Each year, at ASWB’s Annual Meeting of the Delegate Assembly, delegates vote for individuals to serve on ASWB’s Board of Directors and Nominating Committee. The Board of Directors oversees the governance of the association, and the Nominating Committee identifies and nominates individuals to run for election each year.
The Board of Directors is made up of 11 individuals
- President-Elect or Past President
- Director at Large, licensed social worker (three positions)
- Director at Large, public member (two positions)
- Director at Large, member board administrator
- Director at large, open
The Nominating Committee is made up of five individuals, each elected to serve a two-year term.
Board of Directors time commitment
- Approximately 4-5 in-person meetings lasting 3-4 days inclusive of travel time
- One or two conference calls a year
- Occasional email votes
- All in-person board meetings require overnight stays, usually over a weekend.
- Upon election: meeting immediately following close of Annual Meeting (avg. one hour)
- Late January/early February: meeting in conjunction with Federation of Associations of Regulatory Boards (FARB) Forum, various locations
- April/May: meeting prior to ASWB Education Conference, attend ASWB Education Conference
- July/August: meeting usually in conjunction with the Examination Committee
- October/November: meeting before and after ASWB Annual Meeting of the Delegate Assembly
- Conference call meetings, not specifically scheduled
- Email decisions as needed
Committee liaison meetings
- Board members may be asked to serve as liaison to the Board of Directors for a committee or task force, as assigned by the president
- Liaison service can vary from four additional meetings per year (Exam Committee) to as few as one meeting per year (Bylaws Committee)
- Most committee or task force meetings follow the schedule of a Friday arrival, Saturday meeting, and then departure on Sunday. The Exam Committee meets for 2.5 days four times a year.