Jacqueline Lowe (SC), chair
Mavis Azariah-Armattoe (DC)
Thomas Brooks (MN)
Sonia Cisternas (QC)
Vikki Erickson (NV)
Jaime Hoyle (VA)
Robert Payne (ID), liaison
Who is involved
Six Regulation and Standards Committee members, ASWB Board liaison, and the Director of Member Services
Description in bylaws
This committee is not included in the bylaws.
The Regulation and Standards Committee reviews and recommends policies and actions pertaining to the association’s role in providing regulatory information, developing relevant disciplinary and regulatory data banks, facilitating the exchange of information relative to the movement of practitioners from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and working toward uniformity of law and practice while respecting jurisdictional rights. The committee works closely with the President and CEO, and reports to the Board of Directors. The committee’s work will be guided by the ASWB Strategic Plan whenever applicable.
The Regulation and Standards Committee is charged with the following on an ongoing basis:
- Developing and considering proposals for additions or changes to the ASWB Model Social Work Practice Act.
- Conducting regular reviews of the ASWB Model Social Work Practice Act.
- Monitoring policies and developing procedures regarding operation and maintenance of the Public Protection Database (PPD).
- Monitoring and encouraging regulatory board participation in the Public Protection Database.
- Developing model procedures, requirements, and forms to facilitate greater uniformity among jurisdictions.
- Monitoring emerging issues regarding social work practice.
The following skills and/or characteristics are helpful in completing the work of the Regulation and Standards Committee:
- Experience on an ASWB member board
- Administrative experience (supervision, board staff, program manager etc.)
- Understanding of the difference between laws, rules, and policies
- Interest in regulation
The Regulation and Standards Committee meets once a year in the summer. This is a one-day meeting usually held on a Saturday. Attendees travel the day before the meeting and the day after the meeting. Hotels in the VA/DC area are used for this meeting. In-person meeting attendance is fully funded by ASWB.