Elizabeth Pope (NC), chair
Kenya Anderson (TN)
Shelley Hale (ON)
Danielle LaFon (AK)
Walter Orellana (RI)
Lisa Crockwell (NL), board liaison
Who is involved
Five committee members, ASWB Board liaison, Continuing Competence & Continuing Education Services Manager
Description in the bylaws
This committee is not included in the bylaws.
The Continuing Competence Committee reports to the Board of Directors. The Committee is primarily responsible for researching and developing best practices related to continuing competence in social work regulation. The Committee’s work will be guided by the ASWB Strategic Plan whenever applicable.
The Continuing Competence Committee is charged with the following on an ongoing basis:
- Researching best practices related to continuing competence in social work to provide members with recommendations and information.
- Continuing competence areas of focus include:
- Post-education/entry-to-practice requirements as required by the state/province and as required by the Board
- Continuing education requirements for Supervisors
- Renewal/ongoing competency requirements
- Discipline/corrective education requirements
- Consult with ASWB staff, as needed, to provide guidance on continuing education services including the ACE program and CE course approval.
The following skills and/or characteristics are helpful in completing the work of the Continuing Competence Committee:
- Understanding of post-education/entry-to-practice requirements
- Supervision experience
- Experience or interest in research on ongoing competency
- Time to commit to working on projects as needed
- Knowledge of law and policy
The Continuing Competence Committee meets in person once a year usually in the summer. This is a two-day meeting held on a Friday and Saturday. Attendees travel the day before the meeting and the day after the meeting. Hotels in the VA/DC area are used for this meeting. In-person meeting attendance is fully funded by ASWB. Conference calls to complete committee work may be required.