Greg Winkler (WI), chair
Kenya Anderson (TN)
Lise Betteridge (ON)
Betty Guhman (AR)
John Shalett (LA)
Kate Zacher-Pate (MN), board liaison
Who is involved
At least five committee members, ASWB Board liaison, and the Director of Communications & Marketing
Description in bylaws
There shall be at least five members on the Bylaws and Resolutions Committee, appointed by the President after receiving input and approval from the Board of Directors. The composition and tenure of the members shall be determined by the President. The Bylaws and Resolutions Committee shall propose amendments to the Bylaws when it determines that such amendment is necessary, and shall receive and consider proposed amendments to the Bylaws submitted in accordance with these Bylaws. The committee shall receive and consider all resolutions submitted in accordance with Association policy.
- The Bylaws and Resolutions Committee is charged with the following on an ongoing basis:
Considering all amendments duly proposed to the bylaws, and making recommendations to the Board of Directors and the Delegate Assembly as to the implications of adoption.
- Initiating any suggestions that the committee feels necessary for change to the bylaws or proposed amendments.
- Providing leadership to the bylaws amendment process at the Delegate Assembly.
- Screening and processing all resolutions to be brought before the Delegate Assembly in accordance with association policy.
- At the direction of the Board, reviewing the ASWB Policy Manual for inconsistencies with current bylaws or association practice, and drafting proposed changes for consideration by the ASWB Board of Directors.
The committee will meet all deadlines in the current bylaws and will send written reports to the association office 75 days in advance of the Annual Meeting so that its reports may be shared with the Delegate Assembly.
It is favorable for individuals interested in serving on the bylaws committee to have the following skills or experience:
- Familiarity with the ASWB governance process
- Service on other nonprofit boards
- Awareness of policy development
- Understanding and experience in ASWB as an organization
- Service as a delegate at an Annual Meeting of the Delegate Assembly
The Bylaws committee meets once a year in the summer. This is a one-day meeting usually held on a Saturday. Attendees travel the day before the meeting and the day after the meeting. Hotels in the VA/DC area are used for this meeting. In-person meeting attendance is fully funded by ASWB. Conference calls or virtual meetings may be required.