Kate Zacher-Pate (MN), chair
Kenya Anderson (TN)
Endsley Real (GA)
Carolyn Szafran (MO)
Barb Whitenect (NB)
Vicki Williams (TN)
Harold Dean (AR), liaison
Who is involved
Six REAL Committee members, ASWB Board liaison, ASWB Education and Training Senior Manager, ASWB Meetings Manager
Description in bylaws
This committee is not included in the bylaws.
The Regulatory Education and Leadership (REAL) Committee employs a diverse range of regulatory and professional perspectives to facilitate conference planning for ASWB, and develops educational programs and projects for the association as identified by the Board of Directors. The committee reports to the Board of Directors and is guided by the ASWB Strategic Plan.
The Regulatory Education and Leadership Committee is charged with the following on an ongoing basis:
- Developing programs relating to social work regulation, leadership, issues faced by licensing boards, association developments and products, the ASWB examinations, and other relevant topics identified by the Board of Directors.
- Creating a variety of educational offerings and organizing meeting agendas to capture and refine the broad themes and topics selected by the Board of Directors.
- In consultation with the Board of Directors, identifying and coordinating potential plenary speakers, panelists, and presenters.
- When requested by the Board of Directors, issuing calls for abstracts on topics for possible presentation and selecting presenters.
- Monitoring continuing education content delivered at the annual Education Conference for compliance with association policy and standards established by the Board of Directors.
The following skills and/or characteristics are helpful in completing the work of the Regulatory Education and Leadership Committee:
- Regulatory experience
- Interest and/or experience in training/teaching
- Willingness to research training topics and invite speakers
- Event planning experience or familiarity
- Attendance at an ASWB Education Conference
The REAL committee meets in person twice a year. Their committee service begins with attendance at the ASWB Education Conference just prior to the start of their work for the subsequent year. Their first meeting is held for about one hour during the Education Conference. Their second meeting runs for two full days and is usually held in the VA/DC area. Attendees will need to travel to the Washington, DC, area on Thursday and will travel home on Sunday. In-person meeting attendance is fully funded by ASWB.