Karine Levesque (NB), chair
Ann-Marie Buchanan (TN)
Jennifer Fulcher (MS)
Carla Moore (LA)
Greg Winkler (WI)
Who is involved
Five Nominating Committee members, ASWB Board liaison if appointed by the President, Chief Operating Officer, and Volunteer Engagement and Outreach Senior Manager
Description in bylaws
There shall be five members on the Nominating Committee, who shall be elected at the Annual Meeting of the Association by the Delegates by a plurality of votes, either from nominations submitted by the Nominating Committee or by nominations from the floor. Nominating Committee members shall be elected to serve two-year terms. Three Nominating Committee members shall be elected in even-numbered years, and two Nominating Committee members shall be elected in odd-numbered years. A candidate for the Nominating Committee must be a member of a Member Board or a Member Board Administrator of a Member Board, or have served as a member of a Member Board within the preceding two years of the time of nomination. All candidates for the Nominating Committee must have attended at least one ASWB Annual Meeting prior to nomination. The President may appoint the Immediate Past President or President-Elect as a sixth member of the committee. The members shall select their own chairperson from Nominating Committee members. The Nominating Committee shall submit to the Member Boards at least 30 days before the Annual Meeting, a slate of candidates for each position on the Board of Directors to be filled, and for each of the open positions of the Nominating Committee. The Nominating Committee shall use its best efforts to reflect diversity on both the Board of Directors and the Nominating Committee. Persons serving on the Nominating Committee shall be ineligible to be slated or elected to any elected position within the Association within their elected term. Nominating Committee members who resign from the committee shall not be slated or elected to any elected position within the Association within their elected term.
The Nominating Committee is an elected committee which reports through the Board of Directors (primarily for information and guidance) to the Delegate Assembly. The Committee’s work will be guided by the ASWB Strategic Plan whenever applicable.
The committee’s charge is outlined in the association’s bylaws, and may be summarized as:
- Soliciting recommendations from member boards and/or developing slates of candidates for ASWB Board of Directors and Nominating Committee positions.
- Assessing qualifications, suitability, and willingness of eligible nominees, and presenting a slate representing the best candidates for each vacancy.
- Ensuring that the proposed slate is submitted to member boards no less than 30 days prior to the election.
- Using its best efforts to submit a slate of candidates which ensures geographic, racial, and gender diversity on both the Board of Directors and the Nominating Committee.
- Identifying and encouraging potential new leaders among association membership.
Requirements for Election Eligibility
According to the ASWB bylaws, candidates must meet the following criteria to be slated:
- Must be a member of an ASWB member board within the preceding two years or currently serving as a member board administrator
- Must have attended at least one ASWB Annual Meeting of the Delegate Assembly prior to being slated
- ASWB bylaws prohibit current Nominating Committee members from resigning from the committee to run for a seat on the Board of Directors
The Nominating Committee has one face-to-face meeting each year during the Education Meeting. This meeting is customarily held at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday morning during the conference. Nominating Committee members are also fully funded and expected to attend the Annual Meeting of the Delegate Assembly to be available during the election. In-person meeting attendance is fully funded by ASWB. Conference calls and virtual meetings are held to complete the work of the committee.